Personal Branding: What Is It? Have you heard of this term?
Is your company slowly dying?
Has your company’s growth stopped after reaching a certain level?
You do not have a digital presence yet?
I believe I have identified the problem!
I spoke with a couple of my friends who are currently running businesses but haven’t seen much progress in a long time. When we all gathered for a brainstorming session, we concluded that their online presence was minimal while they had a business.
After the discussion, one of my friends remained to speak with me for a while. He was in debt. He started a marketing company four years ago, and his company provides a wide range of digital marketing services. This involved website construction and design, SEO, marketing campaigns across all social media platforms, etc. Worst of all, he offered branding services to his clients but excluded his own company.
Have you noticed the tragedy? He wasn’t building a brand for himself but his customers. Isn’t that absurd?
When I questioned him if he understood personal branding, as opposed to company branding, his response was as usual as most entrepreneurs. He has no idea what personal branding and business branding are.
After 2020, the majority of enterprises that were previously offline switched to the internet. They recognized and accepted the world’s shift. Furthermore, many young solopreneurs realized the importance of personal branding and began to work on it.
Why can’t you if these young solopreneurs can establish an internet presence in one or two years? Why can’t my friend, who is currently in debt?
I know you’re probably thinking that I am just making it look easy.
It is not easy, though neither that difficult.
What counts is the COMMITMENT. We have been in the online world for a while now, and after working with various entrepreneurs to launch their brands, we have realized the importance.
If you are new to the online world, you must read this before it is too late. Let us walk you through the fundamentals of what personal branding is and why it is crucial to establish it in this competitive internet arena.
What is personal branding, and What makes it so important?
Let us define personal branding in the most basic terms possible.
Assume you have some unique characteristics in your family of which your parents are aware. I think your parents recognize some of your qualities in front of your relatives. Furthermore, your friends must recognize you for some of those characteristics. These characteristics are your own brand in the eyes of your family, friends, and relations.
Personal branding is the image you project to the rest of the world. It is how the rest of the world perceives you.
Personal branding is similar to shaping a perception.
It is a method of establishing oneself in the market.
Without personal branding, your business cannot survive for an extended period.
People nowadays believe that to be successful in business, you must pay attention to traffic and conversion rates.
That is not the case. Aside from traffic and conversions, there are other aspects to consider as well:
- Way of Communication
- Prospect List Building
- Prospect Nurturing
- Building Community (lifelong customers)
This is where personal branding comes in. To establish a loyal consumer base, you must first acquire their trust. Personal branding is the only way to develop confidence.
Consider a retail store selling domestic supplies near your home. That store has been there for a decade. What do you think? Isn’t that retail store already known for its strong personal brand? And now you want to start a retail business selling domestic things in that neighborhood. Consider how tough it would be to run your business there. People will not even come to your store. Why would they? Why would they believe you? You are new in that field. That is why it is necessary to create one’s distinctive brand.
What is the Importance of Personal Branding in Business?
The biggest obstacle for any small firm is selling its products and services, which requires the company to establish consumer trust.
A firm with a solid personal brand is far easier to manage than one with no face or identity. Let’s look at a few examples.
- APPLE – You’ve probably heard of this company. It now has a sizeable perrsonal brand in the technological arena, such as mobile phones, laptop computers, and other accessories. Isn’t Steve Jobs the face behind APPLE? Steve Jobs is no longer with us, but if he had been alive today and founded another company, do you think he would be wild for marketing? No, since he already had a massive global personal brand.
- TESLA – A well-known brand of electric vehicles. But Elon Musk is the man behind it all. He is also the owner of SPACE X. Elon Musk will be able to dominate any market he enters tomorrow since he has already developed his brand.
- AMAZON – The world’s most popular e-commerce site nowadays. Jeff Bezos is the man behind it all. Jeff used to run a tiny online book store in the beginning. He gradually expanded his company, AMAZON, and the rest is history.
What does Social Media Personal Branding entail?
Social media networks are the most advantageous and quickest ways to develop a personal brand.
- Facebook • Instagram • Youtube • Twitter • Pinterest • Quora
Aside from these social media networks, your website is also essential. Your website serves as the virtual home of your company. If a customer needs to discover you on the internet, your website is where they will learn about you and your company.
If you are new to social media, I recommend starting with Facebook and Instagram. Later, you can move on to YouTube, Twitter, Quora, and Pinterest.
As you are familiar, personal branding means that this entire internet space will recognize you for the character you have built. They need to see your face for this. As a result, you must be at ease in front of the camera.
- Begin publishing photographs of your company on all social media channels.
- Make sure that all of your social media profiles are optimized.
- Begin writing material about your services and products and posting it regularly.
- Try to provide enormous value to your customers with free materials.
- Instill trust in them so that they understand you care about them.
Is Personal Branding A Trend?
Elon Musk, Phil Knight, Jeff Bezos, Steve Jobs, Michael Jordan, Tony Robbins, Mahatma Gandhi, Sachin Tendulkar, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett.
What are your thoughts on the names I mentioned above?
They are all big names in their respective fields, but they did not develop their brand in a single night. It takes significant effort, time, energy, and attention.
Personal branding is unlike any other popular trend today and will be obsolete in five years.
Open the history book and examine their past. You will comprehend what it takes to create a powerful personal brand. They stood up for what they believed in.
Personal branding is for whom?
• Entrepreneurs • Small Business Owners • Solopreneurs • Employees • Students
In short, personal branding is for everybody who aspires to accomplish greatness and make a lasting impression on the people they serve.
How Do I Begin Personal Branding?
This is the most often asked question.
Many new entrepreneurs are unfamiliar with the fundamentals of personal branding.
According to my experience, four things must be prioritized while developing a personal brand:
- There is content everywhere. The most crucial requirement in marketing is content.
- Content is required if you want to sell your products or services.
- The power of content allows you to either develop or undermine your entire online image.
- It may be challenging at first, but you will eventually master it.
- The more relevant content you provide to your audience, the more they will consume. The more people consume, the more they will be drawn to your brand. The more people are drawn to your brand, the more faith they will have in it.
- Your content must be genuine.
- Always strive to under-commit while exceeding expectations.
- You need to have a magnetic personality.
- You cannot be dull.
- You need to be charismatic.
- You must develop leadership abilities.
- You must have a clear vision.
- You must be able to walk the talk.
- You cannot act as someone else. Customers will notice this soon.
- Communication is essential in personal branding.
- Your words, thoughts, and speech are all of vital importance.
- Individuals trust people more than they trust items or services.
- It is how you exhibit yourself to the outside world.
- How can you expect customers to buy your services or products if you don’t believe in them?
- You don’t have to be concerned about speaking English or any other language fluently. That will come with time and practice.
- All you have to do is be persuasive.
- Your message must be both transparent and genuine.
- Keep in mind that you are in the business of community building, not marketing services or things.
- Your community is a devoted family.
- Consistently nurture your community members.
- They are lifelong customers.
- Your interaction with your community determines the strength of your branding.
- Your community must adhere to some principles or code of honor.
- It will take time to create a solid community, but it will be worthwhile.